Sunday, November 1, 2015

We are Rich


When I was a child my mom always said that we were rich because we had the gospel of Jesus Christ. This week those words bubbled up to the surface of my thoughts as I was dancing to the jolly refrain of bagpipes with my own little ones. Right now we don't have a lot of fancy things or a whole lot of money. We live in a basement apartment. We are totally on WIC. We buy most of our clothes at goodwill. But there in the music, and the whirl of laughing babies, and the ease and bliss of movement, I just became aware of how abundant our little life really is, of how sweet it is. And it is this way because of Jesus.

He has given me the guidance, the truth, and the spirit of courage. Because of Him I know I am of great worth. Because of Him I know I have an eternal life to live. Because of Him I have been able to create wholesome and enduring and ever-blooming relationships.

 Yesterday I was watching the live-action Cinderella starring Lily James. I love her line: "Kindness is free. Love is free." And I would add, laughter is free; friendship is free; dancing is free; humor is free; devotion is free, Forgiveness, mercy, time, attention, imagination, optimism, patience, prayer--these are free. God says, "Freely you have received, freely give." Jesus offers us free resurrection. And free opportunity to change and become. Everything that has true staying power is the milk and honey that Jesus invites us to enjoy "without money and without price."

I am grateful this day for the eternal riches of truth, family, and opportunity to grow. Today in prayer I felt the holy spirit listening to my hopes and questions and I felt comforted and refreshed by that warming presence. Earlier this week I received answers to prayers. So I'm grateful for a personal, approachable God who is involved with the very braiding and weaving of the fabric of every life. Because of him, we are all, infinitely, incandescently, rich.

2 comments:

  1. What a great way to start this Thanksgiving season. As always, thank you for sharing your gift with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love this. What a wonderful maternal legacy, given and perpetuated. ❤︎

    ReplyDelete